0

Movie Soundtrack of the Week: Super Fly

Saturday 8 December 2007



He's got a plan to stick it to the man. He's super hood. Super high. Super dude... Super Fly.

Ah, Super Fly. A classic 70s film about a coke dealer who wants to quit, but needs to make one final score. Dealers, mobsters and 24-carat grooviness. Or a bag of old crap, depending on who you listen to.

I've never seen it, but - thanks to Bill who bought it for me - I have got a copy of the soundtrack (which, amazingly, outgrossed the film in terms of sales). It's the album that switched me on to Curtis Mayfield, a bookish-looking guy with a fantastically high-pitched singing voice. If you're new to him, take a look at him performing here. I don't rate him as a live artist, but the Super Fly soundtrack is a must have for Funk fans.






You can get the deluxe double CD from Amazon: